Monday, June 20, 2016

PSA

I know I know...I've been slacking in updates and it's been far too long, I still have yet to write about our incredible Make A Wish trip and stay at Give Kids the World and I promise I will totally get to that in the next post.

  Recently I overheard a child (who is a family member and knows Naysa) tell an adult (that said child had never met before) that Naysa's brain is "messed up"  then proceeded to ask me "when her brain will be fixed."
   
I get it. I do. Explaining disabilities or any differences to a child in ways they will understand is hard. You want to do it so they actually comprehend without overwhelming them with complicated reasons and big words.

  But, here's the thing...if you want your child to not only understand but to LOVE and ACCEPT others who differ from themselves, telling them my daughter's brain is "messed up" is NOT the way to do that. Trust me, I have explained Naysa to little kids her whole life. At the playground when an excited little girl sees her in the stroller and asks why she doesn't talk to her...at a birthday party when all the other kids are running around, playing and one sweet soul tries to include her then realizes she's different and asks questions. Kids are naturally curious. They are also naturally loving, gentle, forgiving and inclusive. What YOU as the parent, caregiver, grandparent, etc say and model is what they will form their views from and base they opinions around.

A few things to say instead:
"You know, her brain is just a little different. Everyone's brains are different, that's what makes our world so neat!"
"Sometimes, when babies are growing in their mommy's bellies, something happens to make them different. No one really knows why"

Depending on the child's age, you should know an appropriate response. But for the love of GOD, please don't EVER tell a kid anyone is "messed up" and needs fixing. Do not put a negative or bad association of disability and different in their minds. Unique, Diverse...Special....let's go with those undertones, yeah?


 It completely and utterly breaks my heart when I see a curious kid look at Nay and a parent quickly shuffles them away or tells them to stop staring. A better response would be "Do you want to say hi to the little girl?" Please don't shame your children for their curiosity. Teach them, be a positive role model. If your kid wants to ask me questions, please let them...I've had 5 years now of experience answering them and kids are so accepting if given the chance.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Working with kids constantly I hear things like that all the time and it always bothers me. Everyone is different. Disability or not. We should learn to love each other and model that for kids! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Working with kids constantly I hear things like that all the time and it always bothers me. Everyone is different. Disability or not. We should learn to love each other and model that for kids! Great post!

    ReplyDelete