Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Uninvited Guest

  Days like these are rare and most unwelcome, yet they continue to shove their way in. Days where I've lost hope. I'm frustrated with Naysa, myself and the life we've been handed. It's not fair that at two years old my daughter has to struggle so hard to take a single scoot on her tummy, doesn't understand how to sit up on her own and cannot purposely speak a single word. It's heartbreaking to be in line behind a 10 month old who is walking and calling for their mother while my girl sits in the cart with an overly padded cart cover for support. I am jealous of parents with typical children and furious when I see them treated so poorly (this is a subject for a whole different post, we'll come back to this.) Yes, I am grateful for what she can do but that doesn't mean I never wish things were different. Don't tell me "Be thankful for what you have" because I am and you have no idea what it means to live this life. I want to know I am doing everything I can to give her the best chance and unfortunately the things I really believe would help her are beyond our reach financially. In my free time I am searching, reading and calling to find out what else I can do, who can help me heal my daughter. I'm exhausted in every way. Yet I wake up every morning and do it again because I am dedicated to my child, I am motivated when I see progress and I live to watch her thrive. Some days it just takes it toll, and today is one of those days. I have a headache from crying and only about 20 more minutes to get my shit together before Naysa wakes up from her nap. She picks up on the vibes of people and situations, she's not oblivious to feelings...she is in there. I am terrified she will one day realize the tears I randomly shed are for her, yet will relish in it when she asks "what's wrong mommy?"     ......I need some coffee.....

2 comments:

  1. I have taught 'special needs' children for several years and have four children of my own. I watch my students everyday grow and develop and find myself continually amazed by what they are able to accomplish. Don't ever let anyone tell you, or your beautiful daughter she won't succeed. To help her learn to speak, or recognize that letters make sounds and subsequently words..... There are a couple of tricks you can try. 1) Place her hand on your mouth as you say words. 2) While she is able to see the letter and hear its sound ( Leap Frogs Letter Factory is great) take her hand and make the letter in her palm. 3) Repetition!! It may seem tedious, but it is worth it. 4) Don't let her condition dictate what you teach her....especially at her age. Expose her to multi- sensory learning and get her little synapses firing :) You can do it.... And more importantly she can because you believe in her <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I JUST saw this..thank you for the tips and support :)

    ReplyDelete