Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thank you, Bug :)

Naysa Diane,
   In your two short years, you have taught me more than anyone could dream to learn in their lifetime. Because of you I don't immediately judge a parent who can't control their child, as there may be underlying behavioral causes such as Autism or Bipolar disorder. Because of you I look the mother of a physically disabled child in the eyes and give a knowing smile instead of pretending I don't see them. Because of you I know real and true love. Your milestones are miracles and not just a time line of development. Your dada and my hearts burst at the seams with pride and joy when you learn or do something new, no matter how small or insignificant it would seem to the parents of a typical child. Nothing is ever overlooked or missed because we watch you so closely with such amazement. We don't get frustrated when you won't eat something we just made for you or when you refuse to try something new, we thank God for your incredible chewing abilities and that a feeding tube was never needed. We don't argue over whose turn it is to entertain you or take you to the park, we pray someday you will be throwing a tantrum to go.
   There is an entire world that most don't even know exist. It's a world of the strongest men and woman who have chosen to fight, advocate and be there 100% for their special needs child. They live their lives in and out of hospitals, countless doctor appointments and therapies, spending more time on the phone with pharmacies, insurance companies, medical suppliers, offices and respite care than most people do in a lifetime. And they do it with heart. All day, every day...because that is what's best for their child, that is what keeps their child alive. We don't do any of it for recognition and it's actually quite uncomfortable when we get compliments because we are just doing what we assume any parent would do for their child, though I am painfully aware that is not always the case.
   Each day with you is a blessing and that's all I can ask for. Another day, another birthday...because I shun the thought and knowledge that your life may be cut short. I promise to do whatever possible, everything in my power to help you succeed and thrive. I love you bug, thank you for teaching me my love and strength knows no limits.

2 comments:

  1. This is BEAUTIFUL, Ashlyn! Perfectly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly awesome - well said Ashlyn - thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete